Oh no! I can’t believe that car hit me!
You’ve just been in a pretty bad car accident. OK… deep breath…. It’s unfortunate, but it happened. Now what do you do? If you are still at the scene:
- Be safe. Pay attention to the traffic around you;
- Get all the information that you can from the other driver;
- Get any witness contact information you can;
- Call the police if you can;
- Make observations of the scene and the cars; take cell phone pictures.
You managed to get a ride home, but you can tell your back and neck are stiffening up. Your right shoulder is killing you! What now?
- Call your insurance company or agent;
- Contact your primary care doctor, if needed;
- Write down an account of the accident;
- Start a log noting your pain and physical restrictions.
It is the day after, and you hurt even more. But there are still some things to do to get you better and to help preserve your insurance claim.
- Get the medical attention that you need;
- Consider speaking to an attorney;
- Continue to keep your log of your injuries and restrictions, daily at first and then weekly;
- Go back to the scene to take some pictures;
- Take pictures of your vehicle;
- Obtain from the web (massrmv.com) and complete an RMV Crash Operator Report. Send it to the police, the RMV and your insurance company.
For accident claims, feel free to contact our firm.